Thursday, March 5, 2009

On the Generosity of Friends

“Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” Martin Luther King, Jr.

We have recently been the beneficiaries of extremely generous acts by a friend of ours. She likes to drive, it's true, but she'd gone beyond the call to drive us to and from an airport more than four hours away. She's driven a group of us from Greencastle to Philadelphia for the flower show. She's a wonderful friend. I greatly appreciate her gifts. Her actions make me think of this quote from Dr. King. This commentary on personal altruism holds true for politics as well.

Each member of society must decide whether or not they will advocate the generous policy that helps everyone or,instead, demand the lowest taxes, the most mean spirited programs, and the least communitarian solution to our problems. As for me I was raised by my parents to believe that our work on earth is to make a change for the better, no matter how small. I'll continue to try.

No comments: