Sunday, March 22, 2009

What a Great Party!

Our children (all adults) and grandsons put on a wonderful celebration in our old neighborhood in DC at a wonderful new restaurant. We had many of our oldest friends and neighbors along with new friends from Pennsylvania. Good food, fun conversation and a delightful celebration of our anniversary (40) and my birthday (not talking). You'll get a hint from the poem that follows. We can only say than you, thank you, and thank you again for the party to our kids!

I’ve stayed at sixty much too long
Hugging the walls of the decade
Reluctantly changing the number on the door each year as I passed through
Looking backward at what might have been, should have been,
Sadly remembering the ones who have gone, missing their solace,
their knowledge, their balm.

But now it’s time to take a giant stride into the waters that remain
(As if I had a choice)
Admit myself into the next house, the next street,
Allow myself to ricochet from one year to the next like a piece in a pinball machine
Just hoping that I’ll win the game, not fame, just time

No comments: