Thursday, August 7, 2008

Don't Let Facts Get in the Way

I have just returned from a trip to my favorite health food store where I overheard and was drawn into a conversation about Obama. The two women told me without a doubt that Obama was a Muslim, that he wouldn't salute the flag and several other such items. No amount of evidence to the contrary that I produced for them would satisfy. They warned he would make us all drink poisoned Kool Aid or some other such stuff. I don't know what to think about this. I gave them the name of several websites with journalists debunking these rumors (the AFL-CIO has one) but I could see they were unmoved. The conservative radio here is spreading these rumors, I've heard them. I've also seen publications that are the same. I know we've always had very bitter political campaigns and Jefferson, Hamilton and others all engaged in mud slinging. I would think that was one gift from the founding fathers that we could give up.

No comments: